Monday, October 13, 2008

Dr. Doolittle

There was a movie I related to more than any other when I was growing up: Dr. Doolittle. I'm talking about the one made in 1967 with Rex Harrison. I truly believed that this extraordinary ability to be able to talk to animals and understand them had only been given to Dr. Doolittle and myself.



With no fear I could approach an animal and feel out whether the creature was a shy sort or the more assertive, happy-go-lucky type.





I would know just the right softness to put in my voice to make the wildest of beasts melt at my gentleness.





Every gesture made was in tune to what the animal needed to hear to know that I was a friend, not foe.


Once trust was established, I knew I had made a friend for life...or at least until they were either sent to the butcher or run down on the highway.
My world was surreal and cheery as I lived in harmonious communication with the animals around me (unlike Dr. Doolittle though, I would not extend into the insect realm...on a farm that possibility was way too gross). Yes, just me standing in the gap between the misunderstood hairy beings and the rest of the human population.
That is, until the cow kicked me, the dog bit me and the cat used me as a scratching post. I don't plan on cluing Sage in on the truth, she'll figure it out on her own.




No comments: