Thursday, December 29, 2011

My Gift

Brent was sitting with the girls one night last week, discussing all the fun things they will be doing in Morris once we move there.  Brent told Clare that she would get to go to school and do lots of fun things there while Mom will be all alone at home.  After thinking that over a bit, Clare's sweet little bottom lip started shaking as she asked "But what if Mom gets lonely?  Who will she play with?"  Brent called me into the room at that point and told me what had just been talked about while Clare sat there with big tears going down her cheeks.  I scooped her up in my arms and had to work through my own tears while trying to reassure her that I'll be fine while she's away.  The little peanut hugged me with her whole body and cried and cried, refusing for quite a while to be put down.  It's funny how when we are apart from our kids we spend so much time wondering how they are doing and if they're okay.  I guess I never considered that they may have the same thoughts about us.  While I certainly don't want to her to worry so much about me, it was still such a touching moment to see this little girl, just shy of four years old, have such a moment of empathy for someone else.  Have you ever seen someone receive an unexpected gift--like a loved one making a surprise appearance after being deployed for a long time--and standing there as a witness you are overwhelmed with emotion in that moment and so happy for the person who received that wonderful gift.  That's what it was like for me while I held Clare and cried along with her.  To have that gift of empathy and thoughtfulness is something that will be a blessing to so many people in her life and also to her as well.  As a Mom we are constantly serving and giving which is what we were made to do and don't think twice about...well, most of the time.  :)  That moment with her was so unexpected and sweet that a thousand "thank you's" would have never come close to what she did for my heart that night.

No comments: