Monday, August 4, 2008

It's Okay, Try Again

We're in the midst of potty training Sage right now. Yeah, I know...FUN! So during our trip we pretty much got lazy, strapped a diaper on her and didn't push too hard for potty breaks. So today I knew I had to step it up and go full force with training pants once again. For those of you who aren't too familiar with Sage, one of her personality quirks that we adore is that she practices self-therapy. For example, before Clare was born she would freak out if she saw me holding someones baby so we would tell her "it's okay Sage, you're fine." So after awhile when I would again get caught by her holding another baby she would start chanting "I fine...I Fine...I FINE!"
Back to potty training. I've read that when kids have accidents to not make a big deal about it or else you create more problems for yourself in getting them potty trained, so that's what we had been doing in the past. I should have guessed that there would be some regression in the progress she had made and I should have pushed for her to go use her Dora Big Girl Potty a little more often. I realized this mistake when I heard her having this conversation with herself in the next room
"Oops, I have accident. That's okay, try again next time. I put my poop in potty. Oh dear, I dirty. Oops, I have accident. That's okay, try again next time..."
The nice part is I don't have to say anything anymore. I just clean her up and let her keep talking.

No comments: